Dream For Three

The Shed Gets Finished

I can’t remember when this happened exactly, but I ended up getting one of the neighbours to help me put the shed up.  However, before that could happen I had to build the floor.  We picked a spot in a paddock next to the house (for easy access) and I proceeded to manually dig the holes for the corner posts (having prepared the basic frame to start with).  In case I haven’t mentioned this before, I really hate digging holes (for posts or animals!)

So with the four corner holes dug, I then moved on to another four holes in the centre of each side.  Next came several more holes in the middle section to help provide additional support.  In the end I think it was a total of 12 holes.  I then had a crash course in securing in the posts (using concrete) and managed to get the frame attached to the posts and (mostly) level.

Next was the floor itself – two sheets of 19mm ply wood and another one cut up to fit in the “extra” spaces.  All in all I must say that it was a reasonable job.

Our neighbour then helped with putting up the shed – this turned out to be a lot harder than I expected, especially since the pieces didn’t seem to fit together as well as they probably should have.  Again, in hindsight, this may have been related to how the floor was prepared and the frame setup.  Then again, perhaps it was just the type of shed.

So, with the floor, walls, and roof in place, we now have a fully functional shed for extra storage.  Needless to say, it stayed that way for a few weeks before anything really got put in there.  By then the rain had started and I discovered that the shed perhaps wasn’t as water proof (or the floor as level) as I had hoped.  I thought that the rain was coming in the roof and dripping on to the floor, but careful inspection revealed that it was in fact running down the side of the shed and then leaking inwards!

In my infinite wisdom I went out and purchased some stuff to fill in the gaps and promptly applied it all around on the floor – on the outside!  Another few rainy days later and I realised the fault in my thinking – I now provided even more reasons for the water to run down the side of the wall and overflow inside the shed!  It was then that I came to understand why the plans had suggested a concrete floor and showed the outside 50mm (or so) sunken below the inner section – I’m not quite sure how I would do a wooden floor differently now, but I can see how easy it is homes to become leaky.

Ok, so the next attempt, and apparently more successful than the last, was to drill the holes in the lower wall guttering (they were already there, but now blocked underneath by the no more gaps stuff), through the gap stopper, into the plywood, and then chisel out part of the plywood so that the water can easily run away.  There’s still a bit of a leak in heavy rain, but I can live with that.

Ok, you might think that it’s all over now, but given that there is still a bit of a leak, I decided that we needed shelves in the shed.  I tried resurrecting an old free-standing bookshelf that was falling apart – it worked fine until I put one thing too many on it, then it all fell apart again.

Now we have the free-standing kitset ones which are available from Mitre 10 or Bunnings.  These appear to be working well enough for the moment – reasonably easy and quick to assemble, and they hold a lot.  My only problem with them is that they are a bit narrow.

I’m not sure when (or even if) there will be another shed installed.  Next time I will definitely be doing a number of things differently – not the least of which is going for a different manufacturer!

Comments are closed.